Tuesday, July 27, 2004

More paperwork and too much gear

Formation wasn't until 0740 this morning, so I got to sleep in!  I needed the extra hour and slept like a rock.

We spent the morning running through personnel and finance processing.  The process ran smoothly and all the folks were true professionals.  We were all issued active Army ID cards, we were able to get wills and powers of attorney as needed, we found out the categories of pay for which we will be eligible, and we were able to start serviceman's life insurance, among other things.  Since we are all heading to different locations, our entitlements are often different.  Within my group of 120 people going to Germany, Afghanistan, Iraq, Djibouti, Honduras, and other places.  Some are civilian contractors (mainly linguists), some of federal civilians, a couple are navy, and the rest are both active and reserve Army.  Most are medical -- doctors, nurses and a few specialists.

For a grueling three hours this afternoon we snaked our way through a warehouse collecting our battle gear -- sleeping bags, flack vests, mosquito netting, canteens, helmuts, hot weather boots, cold weather boots, chemical suits and boots, gloves, and a host of other items.  Nearly 100 pounds of equipment.  It was hot and physically exhausting.  Most people were also issued weapons, a handful of us were not.  I will be deploying without a personal weapon.  I guess that's good, but it does feel rather strange.

Today I noticed that everyone was more upbeat that yesterday.  Perhaps we are all getting used to the idea of deploying.  Maybe our training is kicking in.  I'm not sure, and it may be different for everyone, but it's noticeable.   

I've also noticed that many of the people we come in contact with take time to ask us where we are going and to give us their blessings.  Although they have been processing thousands of people through Fort Benning since the beginning of the War on Terror, they seem to not have lost sight of the fact that for each of us it's a new and scary experience.

The most frustrating thing right now is that cell service in this area is weak -- at least for those of us with Sprint.  I have not been able to talk for any length of time to my family.  I miss them very much and want so much to be able to spend a few minutes talking with them.  But using the phone and being continually cut off is too frustrating, so email and collect calls home will have to do for now.

Tomorrow is an early day.  We have a formation at 0520 and will spend a couple of hours being fitted with our gas masks, and then will spend the afternoon at the range qualifying on pop up targets.  Time marches on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home