The season to give...
I get lots of emails from friends and family asking me what I need. Beyond homemade food, I can't think of a thing that I or any of the folks around me need.
Most of the military folks I know are lucky to have so many friends and family back in the US sending care packages. We also have a PX that stocks much of what we need day to day, and of course with Internet access we can also take advantage of mail order. It's when I leave our gates that I wish I could do more for this country.
I recently discovered that there is a group of military folks here doing their best to help a large group of Afghan children -- it's called ADOPT (Afghanistan Donations to Orphanages Partnership Team. This small group is collecting donations to help support more than 700 children in two orphanages here in Kabul, and if those of you reading this want to pitch in, I invite you to read on.
ADOPT has a web site through which you can get more information, as well as view photos of the children they are trying to help. www.adopt.thinkbigadventures.com
The list of needed items is also on the web site, as well as an address to which to mail them. I will also be happy to accept the donations and hope to make a trip to the girls' orphanage before I leave to make a delivery.
This country is devastatingly poor, and the orphans and widows probably suffer the most. Anything we can do to help I know will be greatly appreciated. The children can use rugged, serviceable clothing, simple toys and sports equipment such as balls. Remember that soccer is the football of the rest of the world. Winter is coming, so warm coats, hats and blankets will be needed. Things we throw away or take for granted are valuable here. I've noticed that same of the local national janitors we hire here routinely sift through our trash for serviceable things we've discarded. It's so sad.
Before I leave here I'm sure I'll have a few serviceable things I can leave behind for the girls. So if you want to find a good home for your old clothes or those toiletries you collect from hotels, consider sending them this way.
Today remains quiet in our office, except for a helicopter crash that occurred late last night. We are answering the media queries today and trying to keep up with the latest information. It was an Air Force helicopter transporting an injured election worker to medical facilities. Talk about a chain of bad luck -- the election worker was accidentally shot in the arm by an Afghan security escort. The Coalition sent a US Air Force helicopter to transport the election worker to the hospital for treatment. Apparently the helicopter experienced technical problems and crashed. The election worker was not injured further, but one of the US Airmen was critically injured.
It's another sunny day here in Kabul. I ate lunch outside the dining facility in the rose garden. Although it gets very chilly at night here now, the roses are still in full bloom. It's amazing how well roses do here. One bright spot in an otherwise poor and dismal place.
Stay safe and don't forget about me!
Most of the military folks I know are lucky to have so many friends and family back in the US sending care packages. We also have a PX that stocks much of what we need day to day, and of course with Internet access we can also take advantage of mail order. It's when I leave our gates that I wish I could do more for this country.
I recently discovered that there is a group of military folks here doing their best to help a large group of Afghan children -- it's called ADOPT (Afghanistan Donations to Orphanages Partnership Team. This small group is collecting donations to help support more than 700 children in two orphanages here in Kabul, and if those of you reading this want to pitch in, I invite you to read on.
ADOPT has a web site through which you can get more information, as well as view photos of the children they are trying to help. www.adopt.thinkbigadventures.com
The list of needed items is also on the web site, as well as an address to which to mail them. I will also be happy to accept the donations and hope to make a trip to the girls' orphanage before I leave to make a delivery.
This country is devastatingly poor, and the orphans and widows probably suffer the most. Anything we can do to help I know will be greatly appreciated. The children can use rugged, serviceable clothing, simple toys and sports equipment such as balls. Remember that soccer is the football of the rest of the world. Winter is coming, so warm coats, hats and blankets will be needed. Things we throw away or take for granted are valuable here. I've noticed that same of the local national janitors we hire here routinely sift through our trash for serviceable things we've discarded. It's so sad.
Before I leave here I'm sure I'll have a few serviceable things I can leave behind for the girls. So if you want to find a good home for your old clothes or those toiletries you collect from hotels, consider sending them this way.
Today remains quiet in our office, except for a helicopter crash that occurred late last night. We are answering the media queries today and trying to keep up with the latest information. It was an Air Force helicopter transporting an injured election worker to medical facilities. Talk about a chain of bad luck -- the election worker was accidentally shot in the arm by an Afghan security escort. The Coalition sent a US Air Force helicopter to transport the election worker to the hospital for treatment. Apparently the helicopter experienced technical problems and crashed. The election worker was not injured further, but one of the US Airmen was critically injured.
It's another sunny day here in Kabul. I ate lunch outside the dining facility in the rose garden. Although it gets very chilly at night here now, the roses are still in full bloom. It's amazing how well roses do here. One bright spot in an otherwise poor and dismal place.
Stay safe and don't forget about me!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home