The journey is complete
I have been home from Fort Benning for a week now and on what the Army calls terminal leave. In other words, I'm taking the days of leave I accrued while deployed, rather than simply cashing them in. As of the last day of February, I will officially be off active duty. I submitted a request to retire before I left Afghanistan, and will continue to follow up on it.
This is my last entry.
As my flight left Washington National Airport for Fort Benning last week, I looked out over Washington, DC, recalling my thoughts last July as I began my journey. In some ways, it seemed like such a short time ago, but in other ways it was a lifetime ago. My journey turned out to be a much better experience than I ever imagined it could be. So many people gave me great advice before I left -- make the best out of the experience because it could be a once in a lifetime adventure.
During the last six months I witnessed first hand the birth of a democracy, witnessed people with virtually nothing trying to rebuild their homes, towns and country, and worked with some of the most dedicated people I've ever met. And all the while I was supported and encouraged by family and friends, and especially my colleagues at Powell Tate/Weber Shandwick, my civilian employer. It was, quite simply, one of the best times of my life.
I recall so many tearful conversations before I left, lamenting leaving my family, home and work. Some people, like two of my physicians, wondered why I was reluctant to go. I recall my family doctor stating with all honesty that he'd give anything to be able to go on such an adventure. "Embrace it," he said. I was struck by that, but was filled with so much uncertaintly and fear of the unknown, that it was hard to look forward to the trip. And at times the journey was so hard for me, both physically and mentally. At one point on the way to Afghanistan, I just didn't think I could make it.
I look back at the conversation I had with my doctor and am thankful I could embrace the experience. He gave me good advice. And once I got to Afghanistan I was surrounded by caring professionals.
Thanks to my husband, my home is just as I remembered -- warm, cheerful and oh so comfortable. He did a great job holding things together while I was gone. In most ways, this experience was harder on him as he wasn't surrounded by people in the same boat as him. He came home each night to an empty house, whereas I was surrounded by people sharing my experience with me and growing closer together day by day.
I hate to say this, but as I move back into my old day to day existence, I sometimes would just as soon be back in Afghanistan where each day was different and I didn't have to deal with all the things it takes to run a house and family! Our lives over there were so simple, and everything was provided for us. But, alas, I need to shoulder my share of keeping the household and family running smoothly, so I'm facing up to it little by little. It's all part of adjusting to being back home.
Although I had planned to take a few weeks off, I will go back to my civilian job next week. I was in the office earlier this week for a meeting and found that returning there felt a lot like pulling on an old, soft glove. It felt good to be back at my old desk and among my old colleagues.
I hope that through this blog you have been provided a glimpse of my experiences and of a country that has been a focus of the US since 9-11, but that has almost fallen off the radar screens of the media. For my part, I've thoroughly enjoyed sharing my experiences with you. In some ways, I felt that people were truly listening to me and that gave me comfort.
Don't forget the people of Afghanistan, our troops, state department folks and contractors who are working diligently over there. I hope that the process continues to go well because the whole world will be a better place for it. I know that I am a better person for having served there.
Peace.
This is my last entry.
As my flight left Washington National Airport for Fort Benning last week, I looked out over Washington, DC, recalling my thoughts last July as I began my journey. In some ways, it seemed like such a short time ago, but in other ways it was a lifetime ago. My journey turned out to be a much better experience than I ever imagined it could be. So many people gave me great advice before I left -- make the best out of the experience because it could be a once in a lifetime adventure.
During the last six months I witnessed first hand the birth of a democracy, witnessed people with virtually nothing trying to rebuild their homes, towns and country, and worked with some of the most dedicated people I've ever met. And all the while I was supported and encouraged by family and friends, and especially my colleagues at Powell Tate/Weber Shandwick, my civilian employer. It was, quite simply, one of the best times of my life.
I recall so many tearful conversations before I left, lamenting leaving my family, home and work. Some people, like two of my physicians, wondered why I was reluctant to go. I recall my family doctor stating with all honesty that he'd give anything to be able to go on such an adventure. "Embrace it," he said. I was struck by that, but was filled with so much uncertaintly and fear of the unknown, that it was hard to look forward to the trip. And at times the journey was so hard for me, both physically and mentally. At one point on the way to Afghanistan, I just didn't think I could make it.
I look back at the conversation I had with my doctor and am thankful I could embrace the experience. He gave me good advice. And once I got to Afghanistan I was surrounded by caring professionals.
Thanks to my husband, my home is just as I remembered -- warm, cheerful and oh so comfortable. He did a great job holding things together while I was gone. In most ways, this experience was harder on him as he wasn't surrounded by people in the same boat as him. He came home each night to an empty house, whereas I was surrounded by people sharing my experience with me and growing closer together day by day.
I hate to say this, but as I move back into my old day to day existence, I sometimes would just as soon be back in Afghanistan where each day was different and I didn't have to deal with all the things it takes to run a house and family! Our lives over there were so simple, and everything was provided for us. But, alas, I need to shoulder my share of keeping the household and family running smoothly, so I'm facing up to it little by little. It's all part of adjusting to being back home.
Although I had planned to take a few weeks off, I will go back to my civilian job next week. I was in the office earlier this week for a meeting and found that returning there felt a lot like pulling on an old, soft glove. It felt good to be back at my old desk and among my old colleagues.
I hope that through this blog you have been provided a glimpse of my experiences and of a country that has been a focus of the US since 9-11, but that has almost fallen off the radar screens of the media. For my part, I've thoroughly enjoyed sharing my experiences with you. In some ways, I felt that people were truly listening to me and that gave me comfort.
Don't forget the people of Afghanistan, our troops, state department folks and contractors who are working diligently over there. I hope that the process continues to go well because the whole world will be a better place for it. I know that I am a better person for having served there.
Peace.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home