Briefings and weapons qualification
Today was a long and exhausting day. It began with formation at 0430. The air was so thick with humidity and heat, even at that early hour, that beads of sweat quickly formed on my forehead. We formed up and prepared for a long day of classes and activities.
Our first stop was at the US Army Infantry School for familiarization with our chemical masks. As our preparations here are very quick, we did not have to go through the gas chamber. But the training was, none-the-less, very good. I learned how to use the new gas masks and got a refresher on the known chemical hazards in the middle east.
I haven't sat in an Army classroom for years and I had forgotten how funny the instructors can be -- while still imparting serious and important information to us. For instance, our NBC instructor pointed out that the new cannisters on the gas masks are now environmentally friendly and can be disposed of without damage to the environment.
We sat through a terrorism threat briefing that was sobering. The new tools circulating in various countries, such as stun guns and pistols that look like cell phones, were a surprise to me. And the number of terrorists groups and their reach is frightening.
We were also afforded the opportunity to learn about the various countries to which we are traveling.
Upon returning to our company area we assembled our field gear and headed to the ranges -- some to qualify with M-16s and others with 9mm pistols. This was perhaps the most stressful training so far as it was about 95 degrees outside and many of us hadn't fired weapons in years. A handful of the contractors had never fired a gun, so qualification turned into training. We fired some 40 rounds at a series of pop-up targets. My hands were sweating so much that I could barely keep a grasp on the gun. I can't even tell you the relief and joy I felt when I found out that I had successfully qualified. Even though I will not be deploying with a weapon, this is an important part of our mental and physical preparations.
By the way, as part of our range safety briefing, we were also made aware of the habitats for an endangered variety of woodpeckers and asked to stay clear of the trees marked with their nests.
It was nearly 4:30 p.m. when we returned to the barracks to clean our weapons and finally hit the showers. I also took the time to repack my three duffel bags as well as my civilian items. I will be sending my extra suitcase and a few items I won't need back to my home to help lighten my load.
Seeing so many sharp LTs and Captains at the Infantry School today was a bit of a treat. They looked so young, especially the LTs, but they also looked like the best America has to offer. I noticed that several of the Captains already had combat patches on their right sleeves. They all deserve our admiration. America has such great promise in it's youth and future leaders.
Today I received emails from several colleagues -- it was so good to receive "mail." Cell service is really weak here so I don't have many opportunities to talk. I look forward to email time in the evening, as well as to relaxing with my book. I caught a few glimpses of the Democratic National Convention on the larege TV in the mess hall, but otherwise am pretty starved for news. From what I could see on CNN Headline News, things are bad in Iraq. We all hope with all of our hearts that things begin to turn around for the better over there and that all of us will come home safe.
Our first stop was at the US Army Infantry School for familiarization with our chemical masks. As our preparations here are very quick, we did not have to go through the gas chamber. But the training was, none-the-less, very good. I learned how to use the new gas masks and got a refresher on the known chemical hazards in the middle east.
I haven't sat in an Army classroom for years and I had forgotten how funny the instructors can be -- while still imparting serious and important information to us. For instance, our NBC instructor pointed out that the new cannisters on the gas masks are now environmentally friendly and can be disposed of without damage to the environment.
We sat through a terrorism threat briefing that was sobering. The new tools circulating in various countries, such as stun guns and pistols that look like cell phones, were a surprise to me. And the number of terrorists groups and their reach is frightening.
We were also afforded the opportunity to learn about the various countries to which we are traveling.
Upon returning to our company area we assembled our field gear and headed to the ranges -- some to qualify with M-16s and others with 9mm pistols. This was perhaps the most stressful training so far as it was about 95 degrees outside and many of us hadn't fired weapons in years. A handful of the contractors had never fired a gun, so qualification turned into training. We fired some 40 rounds at a series of pop-up targets. My hands were sweating so much that I could barely keep a grasp on the gun. I can't even tell you the relief and joy I felt when I found out that I had successfully qualified. Even though I will not be deploying with a weapon, this is an important part of our mental and physical preparations.
By the way, as part of our range safety briefing, we were also made aware of the habitats for an endangered variety of woodpeckers and asked to stay clear of the trees marked with their nests.
It was nearly 4:30 p.m. when we returned to the barracks to clean our weapons and finally hit the showers. I also took the time to repack my three duffel bags as well as my civilian items. I will be sending my extra suitcase and a few items I won't need back to my home to help lighten my load.
Seeing so many sharp LTs and Captains at the Infantry School today was a bit of a treat. They looked so young, especially the LTs, but they also looked like the best America has to offer. I noticed that several of the Captains already had combat patches on their right sleeves. They all deserve our admiration. America has such great promise in it's youth and future leaders.
Today I received emails from several colleagues -- it was so good to receive "mail." Cell service is really weak here so I don't have many opportunities to talk. I look forward to email time in the evening, as well as to relaxing with my book. I caught a few glimpses of the Democratic National Convention on the larege TV in the mess hall, but otherwise am pretty starved for news. From what I could see on CNN Headline News, things are bad in Iraq. We all hope with all of our hearts that things begin to turn around for the better over there and that all of us will come home safe.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home