Back in the saddle
My first full day back at work after leave I could see that the next six weeks would be very busy for us -- which is good because busy days go by fast.
Planning for the inauguration of President Karzai began in earnest while I was away and on Sunday I got to go to the palace for the first time to participate in one of the planning meetings. I am working with the public relations committee handling media for the inauguration, which is chaired by President Karzai's spokesman and comprised of the PR folks from various Afghan government agencies, US agencies, NATO and the United Nations.
I have not been to the palace before, so it was quite exciting. It's a large complex with old and new buildings, as well as the remains of buildings destroyed by years of war. Security is quite tight and it probably took us 20 minutes just to get through it all.
Planning by committee is often challenging, but when you add language barriers, limited experience, poor facilities, and huge security concerns, the job can seem overwhelming. We are expecting some 500 dignitaries from around the world, as well as perhaps 100 or so media.
The building in which the inauguration will take place presents huge challenges for accomodating all of the expected guests as well as media, power is unreliable, and security will be very tight. So we have huge challenges to overcome in pulling off this event. We will be meeting frequently over the next week. The inauguration is planned for Dec. 7.
Monday kicked off six weeks of a constant stream of visitors coming to spend the holidays visiting troops. I think it's good for those responsible for putting us in harm's way to come see us, but I have to tell you that it's hell for public affairs and protocol officers who have to schedule, reschedule, change and adjust a million details when VIPs travel. Luckily our first VIP visit was from Gen Peter Pace, Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and a very nice guy. Gen Pace came for a couple of days to visit with troops in Afghanistan, meet with the US Ambassador and hold a short press briefing. The press briefing was our main event and was scheduled for Monday morning at the NATO airfield adjacent to Kabul Airport.
My day began as it usually does attending an early morning briefing to my commanding general. At the same time my advance team was heading over the airfield to set up for the press conference involving Gen Pace and my CG. As I was waiting to prep the two generals, my cell phone began ringing constantly with changes coming from my advance team. The plan had been to hold the press conference on the tarmac, but after getting the site set up, Gen Pace's security detail decided they didn't like the location and directed it moved. That sent not only my team scurrying, but also required getting the NATO airfield commander and his staff involved in finding and preparing a new location -- with less than 90 minutes to show time.
Because media here are required to go through a lot of security before entering government facilities, they began arriving at the security area while my folks were moving the location.
The night before I had wondered if I was sending too many people to the airfield to set up for the press conference, but in the end I was relieved to have so many people there because it took every single one of them to move the location and handle the media.
So while my folks handled a million details at the airfield, I sat down for a 15 minute prep session with Gen Pace and my CG. We ran through some operations that had just taken place that morning, as well as the ongoing hostage situation, and other topics. Gen Pace was great to work with.
When we finished it was time to load up and head to the airfield. Moving any general officer around this country requires a lot of security, but in this case it was quite impressive. We were surrounded by armored SUVs and buff soldiers armed to the teeth. Our caravan of some six or so vehicles negotiated the crowded streets of Kabul quickly and pulled up to the tarmac just about right on time. We jumped out and headed to the briefing site. As we walked through an entry way into a courtyard, we shed our flack vests and hats and faced some 20 or so media and about 100+ NATO troops who had gathered to see what all the fuss was about.
Now I have to admit that I figured my CG would just do what he always does and jump up onto the stage and get the press conference underway, but instead he directed me to make the introductions. Without a second thought I jumped up onto the stage and stepped up to the podium -- which was too high and barely allowed me to see over the top of it -- and quickly realized that I wasn't sure of Gen Pace's first name!
My legs went weak as I tried to look above the podium and past the knot of microphones and tape recorders to introduce the two generals. Without, I hope, skipping a beat I announced the full name of my boss and then "Gen Pace, Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff." No surname. I just wanted to die.
But no such luck as I had to stand there while Gen Pace made a short speech and then I had to moderate the question and answer period. I had to keep my wits about me because this requires the use of a translator to translate English into Dari and visa-versa. We got through it beautifully. A quick farewell, a few more handshakes and Gen Pace and his entourage headed for their plane and the reporters were quickly ushered to the gate.
In the meantime, all of us public affairs types gathered around for a deep breath and a much-needed cup of coffee. If you could just picture officers from the UK, France, I think Norway, and Germany, as well as from the US all patting one another on the back for basically pulling off the impossible for the second highest ranking officer in the US military -- well, this is where friends are made, no matter what uniform you wear or language you speak. I simply couldn't thank them enough for bending over backwards to accommodate us.
I only allowed myself a few minutes with my NATO friends before making my way out to the flighline to check in with my CG for a quick read on how things went. As Gen Pace's plane took off, my CG gave me a thumbs-up. My job was done. At least for the morning.
One down and about 10 more to go.
Next is the Secretary of Veterans Affairs and then Gen Abizaid himself -- commander of US Central Command.
Planning for the inauguration of President Karzai began in earnest while I was away and on Sunday I got to go to the palace for the first time to participate in one of the planning meetings. I am working with the public relations committee handling media for the inauguration, which is chaired by President Karzai's spokesman and comprised of the PR folks from various Afghan government agencies, US agencies, NATO and the United Nations.
I have not been to the palace before, so it was quite exciting. It's a large complex with old and new buildings, as well as the remains of buildings destroyed by years of war. Security is quite tight and it probably took us 20 minutes just to get through it all.
Planning by committee is often challenging, but when you add language barriers, limited experience, poor facilities, and huge security concerns, the job can seem overwhelming. We are expecting some 500 dignitaries from around the world, as well as perhaps 100 or so media.
The building in which the inauguration will take place presents huge challenges for accomodating all of the expected guests as well as media, power is unreliable, and security will be very tight. So we have huge challenges to overcome in pulling off this event. We will be meeting frequently over the next week. The inauguration is planned for Dec. 7.
Monday kicked off six weeks of a constant stream of visitors coming to spend the holidays visiting troops. I think it's good for those responsible for putting us in harm's way to come see us, but I have to tell you that it's hell for public affairs and protocol officers who have to schedule, reschedule, change and adjust a million details when VIPs travel. Luckily our first VIP visit was from Gen Peter Pace, Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and a very nice guy. Gen Pace came for a couple of days to visit with troops in Afghanistan, meet with the US Ambassador and hold a short press briefing. The press briefing was our main event and was scheduled for Monday morning at the NATO airfield adjacent to Kabul Airport.
My day began as it usually does attending an early morning briefing to my commanding general. At the same time my advance team was heading over the airfield to set up for the press conference involving Gen Pace and my CG. As I was waiting to prep the two generals, my cell phone began ringing constantly with changes coming from my advance team. The plan had been to hold the press conference on the tarmac, but after getting the site set up, Gen Pace's security detail decided they didn't like the location and directed it moved. That sent not only my team scurrying, but also required getting the NATO airfield commander and his staff involved in finding and preparing a new location -- with less than 90 minutes to show time.
Because media here are required to go through a lot of security before entering government facilities, they began arriving at the security area while my folks were moving the location.
The night before I had wondered if I was sending too many people to the airfield to set up for the press conference, but in the end I was relieved to have so many people there because it took every single one of them to move the location and handle the media.
So while my folks handled a million details at the airfield, I sat down for a 15 minute prep session with Gen Pace and my CG. We ran through some operations that had just taken place that morning, as well as the ongoing hostage situation, and other topics. Gen Pace was great to work with.
When we finished it was time to load up and head to the airfield. Moving any general officer around this country requires a lot of security, but in this case it was quite impressive. We were surrounded by armored SUVs and buff soldiers armed to the teeth. Our caravan of some six or so vehicles negotiated the crowded streets of Kabul quickly and pulled up to the tarmac just about right on time. We jumped out and headed to the briefing site. As we walked through an entry way into a courtyard, we shed our flack vests and hats and faced some 20 or so media and about 100+ NATO troops who had gathered to see what all the fuss was about.
Now I have to admit that I figured my CG would just do what he always does and jump up onto the stage and get the press conference underway, but instead he directed me to make the introductions. Without a second thought I jumped up onto the stage and stepped up to the podium -- which was too high and barely allowed me to see over the top of it -- and quickly realized that I wasn't sure of Gen Pace's first name!
My legs went weak as I tried to look above the podium and past the knot of microphones and tape recorders to introduce the two generals. Without, I hope, skipping a beat I announced the full name of my boss and then "Gen Pace, Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff." No surname. I just wanted to die.
But no such luck as I had to stand there while Gen Pace made a short speech and then I had to moderate the question and answer period. I had to keep my wits about me because this requires the use of a translator to translate English into Dari and visa-versa. We got through it beautifully. A quick farewell, a few more handshakes and Gen Pace and his entourage headed for their plane and the reporters were quickly ushered to the gate.
In the meantime, all of us public affairs types gathered around for a deep breath and a much-needed cup of coffee. If you could just picture officers from the UK, France, I think Norway, and Germany, as well as from the US all patting one another on the back for basically pulling off the impossible for the second highest ranking officer in the US military -- well, this is where friends are made, no matter what uniform you wear or language you speak. I simply couldn't thank them enough for bending over backwards to accommodate us.
I only allowed myself a few minutes with my NATO friends before making my way out to the flighline to check in with my CG for a quick read on how things went. As Gen Pace's plane took off, my CG gave me a thumbs-up. My job was done. At least for the morning.
One down and about 10 more to go.
Next is the Secretary of Veterans Affairs and then Gen Abizaid himself -- commander of US Central Command.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home