Thursday, December 23, 2004

We're making the best of the holiday

Today was an exceptionally busy day. We got as much work done as possible in the morning and then enjoyed an afternoon filled with holiday parties in several offices. We hosted an "open house" in our office and shared many of the goodies friends and family have been sending to us. Most of the people in the headquarters building filtered through our office at some point.

One of the offices hosted a party that featured Afghan food and a small Afghan musical group performing traditional Afghan music. The commanding general made his way around to the various parties to thank everyone for being here over the holidays.

We had our headquarters hail and farewell today as well. The good news is that we welcomed many new people to the headquarters -- the best news is that I was one of the lucky few to be farewelled (even though I have a month left). Those of us being farewelled were given one minute to speak -- it was actually a bit harder to say good-bye than I thought it would be, and I suspect I went over the one minute allotment. I have been the "reluctant warrior" but I have to admit that this has been the best public affairs job I've ever had. It is very hard turning things over to my replacement.

In his short speech to those gathered for the hail and farewell, our commanding general talked about LAGS -- Leaving Afghanistan Guilt Syndrome, something many people feel when they know their time here is limited. I realized I am having those feelings. It's amazing how dedicated we become to the mission, and how attached we get to the people and the work. When I think about all I've accomplished and all I've witnessed in my four months here, I am humbled.

This evening several of us attended a holiday gathering at the US Embassy in which people from the US State Department, NATO, UN and other agencies were invited. I was taken aback at how many people I have come to know in the course of my time here. Many had heard that I would be leaving in a month and all couldn't believe how fast the time has gone.

The community of people from the US and Europe who are here working together is small. It doesn't take long before you realize that you've come to know your counterparts from NATO, the US Embassy, the UN and other agencies as friends, not just associates. We've all endured the hardships, the challenges, and the joys together. It's an experience we will never be able to repeat. I hope I am able to hold onto the friendships I've made here. These are all people I respect and admire.

I got back to the office around 9:30 p.m. and was simply going to check email and then head to my room. But I was surprised to find two of my folks still here at work. The good thing is that they're working on something fun -- decorating our door. The compound is holding a holiday door decorating contest and judging takes place tomorrow at 10 a.m. They decided that PAO has to win, so they've been hard at it for over an hour. It's this kind of dedication and energy that simply amazes me everyday. If there's a challenge, these people are up for it!

Happy Holidays from Afghanistan!

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home