Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Another day of waiting

Everyone has been emailing me wondering why I haven't updated my blog -- it's because there's nothing new to report. I'm still awaiting travel.

The mobilization orders for a handful of us didn't have our specific destinations on them and the travel people will not book travel without complete information, so we are stuck here awaiting amendments. This also affected immunizations, malaria treatment and some of the equipment we were issued. I am caught up on shots and equipment, I'm now waiting for malaria pills and travel.

The cadre warned us the first night we arrived here -- the US Army is not very efficient, but it is effective. I guess I'm the poster child for this. An amendment to my orders arrived this afternoon specifying Djibouti, but other information on it was incorrect so another amendment has to be issued. There's no telling how long that will take.

And the prescription I turned in on Monday for malaria pills has somehow been lost, so various people are looking for it. We think the pills may have been sent to Charlie Company. I'm in Bravo Company. Of course, the buildings are right next to one another, but I think it's probably too easy to walk next door to check. They have to work through channels. So I wait.

I get the feeling that some of the folks handling our administrative actions are not the sharpest tools in the shed, but don't tell them I said that.

In the meantime I'm spending my time between the mess hall, the TV room, reading, and working out. Occasionally I slip a nap in to the routine ;-)

I was able to spend a lot of time on email today. I corresponded with some of my colleagues at work and did some reading on Djibouti.

I also started a new book today -- "Breakfast at Stephanie's." Light, fun reading. I just finished "Going Topless" which was pretty good. The title is a metaphor for the changes a step family of four sisters from two different mothers go through as they grow up, grow apart but try to remain somewhat of a family after their father's death. It's set in a make-believe town on the Mediterranean so it has bit of an international flair. I began to realize that it might seem strange to see a LTC walking around with a book named "Going Topless" so I tried to keep the title out of view.

I also found one spot in the parking lot where I can get good cell reception. I made several calls to family. But after awhile the sweat begins to run down my back, arms and legs and I have to head for the air conditioning again.

So you see, there's not much to report. I'm just trying to find constructive ways to pass the time. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home