Getting the hang of things
A typical day for me, if there is such a thing, consists of waking up around 6:30 a.m. and getting ready for work. I have found that taking my shower the night before works better because there's always hot water, I sleep better when I feel clean, and it gives me a few extra minutes to sleep in the morning. It's rather dusty here, so by the end of the day I feel like I need to rinse off the day's dust.
I usually eat breakfast at the dining facility nearest to my Coalition Press Information Center (CPIC) which handles the credentialing of media, arranging media embeds, and distributing the press releases that we produce over at the headquarters. There's always a big screen TV on with the news. We watch the Armed Forces Network, which carries the major networks news shows.
After breakfast I stop by the CPIC to say hi to my soldiers and make sure all is well. The CPIC is staffed by a reserve public affairs unit from Oklahoma and Kansas. They are all sharp and really committed to their jobs.
I try to get to my desk in the headquarters by 8:30 a.m. and that's when the "fun" begins. We all use two computers and two email systems--one unclassified and the other classified. Between the two sometimes I feel like I'm drowning in emails. However the classified system provides information to me that I've never seen before, and as a public affairs officer it's often invaluable--especially related to current operations throughout the country. But even though I've got access to up to date information, I have found this week that inevitably the news media hear about things before us and rush to put out stories with either wrong information or half the story.
For instance, this week some of the bad guys attacked a village in the north. The Coalition responded with aircraft that blew up the bad guys' rocket launcher and shot down onto scattering bad guys. One bad guy blew himself up with a grenade and injured several civilians as well. Immediately the local police chief was being interviewed by news media claiming that the Coalition had also shot up numerous civilians. He condemned what he called the Coalition's indiscriminate use of high technology. It wasn't until two days later that the provincial governor was interviewed and countered the claims of the police chief. We've got people on the ground investigating the events of that night and we are discovering that the police chief has connections to the Taliban and his comments are highly suspect. So far only Laura Logan of CBS has picked up on this.
We will put that out in our three times a week press conference tomorrow, but chances are it will not be picked up by the media. The damage is done.
And the DynCorp bombing last week -- it appears that an Al Jazeera cameraman was either there for the attack, or may have had knowledge ahead of time because he was there almost as the car blew up. This is so troubling. How do we fight this when we are held to a different standard?
I do find, however, that there are huge differences in the quality of reporting between local reporters, even those who staff large US bureaus, and the US reporters working here. The later seem much more careful.
Anyway, not to dwell on that...I keep track of events and provide direction to my staff, attend planning meetings, and determine what information is important to release to the media.
Around 11:30 a.m. I go to lunch. We are offered hot food, cold cuts and a small salad bar, as well as desserts and snacks. There is no shortage of food here! I like to eat in the courtyard outside the CPIC. It's basically a rose garden in this dirty, dusty place. At this time of day I like to run any errands I need to do such as picking up necessities at the PX, doing laundry, or just taking a short walk around the compound.
The afternoon is again filled with emails, meetings, discussions of events happening around the country, and more meetings. The media usually begin calling around 3 p.m. as they try to develop their stories.
Around 5 p.m. I head over to dinner. We usually have two meats, two starches and two vegetables as well as salad bar and desserts to choose from.
Then it's back to the office. The evenings tend to be very, very busy with media calls and responses to media queries. I also try to answer personal emails before heading to my room. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to my room before 9 p.m. any night this week, and had two nights in the office after 10 p.m. That makes for a long day!
I don't get mentally tired after all this, but eventually I do get physically tired. I think the reason I am able to stay so engaged is that it's important work, it's what I've been trained to do, and it's interesting. Lest you think I'm the only one doing this, don't. The offices are all staffed until late into the night.
I also certainly helps that all of the people I work with are really fun. There are around six of us in a fairly small office and the day is filled with non-stop commentary on what's on the news, emails, politics, being deployed, and just about anything else you can think of. We are all working in communications so we are well read and tuned in. It makes the day go by fast.
Today was a "reduced battle rhythm day." In other words, we didn't have to work a full day and could dress in civvies. This day REALLY went too fast! I got to spend some time with friends I've made here, do work on a relaxed schedule, and sleep in until 9 a.m.!!!!!
It was also market day. The commander here allows local merchants to come near the compound to sell rugs, jewelry and Afghan artifacts. It was sunny and beautiful today, so the mood was even more upbeat than usual. I had fun shopping and the merchants were nice. Here's how they do business:
"Madam, madam, you like my rugs? For you, I give you best price. (They lean closer and whisper) For you, I sell to you at XX and only make XX dollars. I almost sell to you for what I pay. But don't tell anyone. You my friend so I give you best price."
It cracks me up!
Today was also steak night. We had steaks cooked on grills, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and fried shrimp. I saw carrot cake and a chocolate torte, but I was too full. Another reason I skipped dessert is that once again I had a Twix ice cream bar today. I'm taking a liking to Twix ice cream bars, but I need to be careful. Sitting at my desk for so many hours and eating so well will not be good. Eventually I need to find time to work out. Perhaps if I can settle into a less rigorous schedule.
That's it for now. I miss everyone!
I usually eat breakfast at the dining facility nearest to my Coalition Press Information Center (CPIC) which handles the credentialing of media, arranging media embeds, and distributing the press releases that we produce over at the headquarters. There's always a big screen TV on with the news. We watch the Armed Forces Network, which carries the major networks news shows.
After breakfast I stop by the CPIC to say hi to my soldiers and make sure all is well. The CPIC is staffed by a reserve public affairs unit from Oklahoma and Kansas. They are all sharp and really committed to their jobs.
I try to get to my desk in the headquarters by 8:30 a.m. and that's when the "fun" begins. We all use two computers and two email systems--one unclassified and the other classified. Between the two sometimes I feel like I'm drowning in emails. However the classified system provides information to me that I've never seen before, and as a public affairs officer it's often invaluable--especially related to current operations throughout the country. But even though I've got access to up to date information, I have found this week that inevitably the news media hear about things before us and rush to put out stories with either wrong information or half the story.
For instance, this week some of the bad guys attacked a village in the north. The Coalition responded with aircraft that blew up the bad guys' rocket launcher and shot down onto scattering bad guys. One bad guy blew himself up with a grenade and injured several civilians as well. Immediately the local police chief was being interviewed by news media claiming that the Coalition had also shot up numerous civilians. He condemned what he called the Coalition's indiscriminate use of high technology. It wasn't until two days later that the provincial governor was interviewed and countered the claims of the police chief. We've got people on the ground investigating the events of that night and we are discovering that the police chief has connections to the Taliban and his comments are highly suspect. So far only Laura Logan of CBS has picked up on this.
We will put that out in our three times a week press conference tomorrow, but chances are it will not be picked up by the media. The damage is done.
And the DynCorp bombing last week -- it appears that an Al Jazeera cameraman was either there for the attack, or may have had knowledge ahead of time because he was there almost as the car blew up. This is so troubling. How do we fight this when we are held to a different standard?
I do find, however, that there are huge differences in the quality of reporting between local reporters, even those who staff large US bureaus, and the US reporters working here. The later seem much more careful.
Anyway, not to dwell on that...I keep track of events and provide direction to my staff, attend planning meetings, and determine what information is important to release to the media.
Around 11:30 a.m. I go to lunch. We are offered hot food, cold cuts and a small salad bar, as well as desserts and snacks. There is no shortage of food here! I like to eat in the courtyard outside the CPIC. It's basically a rose garden in this dirty, dusty place. At this time of day I like to run any errands I need to do such as picking up necessities at the PX, doing laundry, or just taking a short walk around the compound.
The afternoon is again filled with emails, meetings, discussions of events happening around the country, and more meetings. The media usually begin calling around 3 p.m. as they try to develop their stories.
Around 5 p.m. I head over to dinner. We usually have two meats, two starches and two vegetables as well as salad bar and desserts to choose from.
Then it's back to the office. The evenings tend to be very, very busy with media calls and responses to media queries. I also try to answer personal emails before heading to my room. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to my room before 9 p.m. any night this week, and had two nights in the office after 10 p.m. That makes for a long day!
I don't get mentally tired after all this, but eventually I do get physically tired. I think the reason I am able to stay so engaged is that it's important work, it's what I've been trained to do, and it's interesting. Lest you think I'm the only one doing this, don't. The offices are all staffed until late into the night.
I also certainly helps that all of the people I work with are really fun. There are around six of us in a fairly small office and the day is filled with non-stop commentary on what's on the news, emails, politics, being deployed, and just about anything else you can think of. We are all working in communications so we are well read and tuned in. It makes the day go by fast.
Today was a "reduced battle rhythm day." In other words, we didn't have to work a full day and could dress in civvies. This day REALLY went too fast! I got to spend some time with friends I've made here, do work on a relaxed schedule, and sleep in until 9 a.m.!!!!!
It was also market day. The commander here allows local merchants to come near the compound to sell rugs, jewelry and Afghan artifacts. It was sunny and beautiful today, so the mood was even more upbeat than usual. I had fun shopping and the merchants were nice. Here's how they do business:
"Madam, madam, you like my rugs? For you, I give you best price. (They lean closer and whisper) For you, I sell to you at XX and only make XX dollars. I almost sell to you for what I pay. But don't tell anyone. You my friend so I give you best price."
It cracks me up!
Today was also steak night. We had steaks cooked on grills, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and fried shrimp. I saw carrot cake and a chocolate torte, but I was too full. Another reason I skipped dessert is that once again I had a Twix ice cream bar today. I'm taking a liking to Twix ice cream bars, but I need to be careful. Sitting at my desk for so many hours and eating so well will not be good. Eventually I need to find time to work out. Perhaps if I can settle into a less rigorous schedule.
That's it for now. I miss everyone!

1 Comments:
Hi Pam, or should I say ma'am.
I was glad to hear that you ended up in Afghanistan actually doing your job and not in some random assignment wasting your skills. Kabul sounds heavenly, esp since the conditions at my PRT are bound to be even worse than you experienced in Bagram. I should see within the week, unless by the grace of God we get stuck in Germany. Wishful thinking. I will be sure to keep reading your blog to see how the other half lives. Keep doing good.
Johanna
Post a Comment
<< Home