Monday, August 09, 2004

Chinese water torture

There are some four of us still waiting for travel. We are being told flights are booked and to keep checking back with operations. So twice a day we go stand in front of the operations office window and wait, only to be told nothing has come down from the travel section and to check back this afternoon or tomorrow morning. There seems to be a balancing act going on between military charters and commercial transportation. And then, of course, all of us have to change flights at least once or twice to get to our destinations, so when the rotators fill up, booking us onto commercial flights apparently becomes a challenge.

In the meantime I've also taken this situation up with my chain of command back at my old unit as I hate inefficiency. The problems began with incomplete orders. When I see something that appears broken, I feel compelled to fix it. I hope I can keep others from going through this.

The bottom line is that I could leave tomorrow, or the next day, or the next. Or I could leave a week or two from now. Which means that for all practical purposes, I'm stuck in this area because to venture too far might lead to missing movement.

I once again got a pass to Atlanta this past weekend and spent some down time with my brother and sister in law. We saw the Manchurian Candidate and toured the Carter Presidential Library and Museum. Both the movie and the museum were quite interesting. I like movies with happy endings. Heck, even President Carter is enjoying a happy ending after a difficult presidency. As I said, I like happy endings.

The temperature cooled down quite a bit last weekend, so we are enjoying 85 degree weather and lots of sunshine. I'll probably go for a run rather than work out at the little "gym" we've got here.

I've been receiving lots of emails from family and friends. It is great to keep up with the news back home, no matter how seemingly trivial. It helps me remain close to the life I left. We watch the news during meals and while waiting for computer time, but if that's the only contact we had with the outside world, it would begin to look a little crazy to us. Between the teacher who had two children from her 12 year old student, the guy who killed his wife while she slept, the terrorists plots using limos and helicopters, and the Swiftboat guys against Kerry, things look a bit lop-sided from where we sit. News from home keeps that balanced. So keep the emails coming!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home