One of the more interesting days
Saturday I traveled with our delegation to the 8th meeting of the Tripartite Commission at the Afghanistan government's ministry of Foreign Affairs here in Kabul. The Tripartite Commission is comprised of members from Pakistan, Afghanistan and the US -- to include both the US military and the Embassy. The commission meetings are led by my commander, a three-star general. Most of the issues the commission deals with revolve around security of the common border between Afghanistan and Pakistan, as well as anti-terrorism efforts.
I was told that my job would be to finalize the pre-approved press release immediately after the meeting and provide copies to each of the three delegations. But it turned out to be much more!
As soon as I sat down with representatives from each country's information offices I could tell the situation would be challenging as one of them wanted to totally rewrite the release. Then the others spoke up saying that they disagreed. I was a bit slow to catch on to what was going on because I thought I was simply there to type the release. But as it turns out, I was supposed to negotiate between the two countries over the wording of the release. My meeting with the two groups of communications people went on for about an hour before we were forced to break for lunch.
As lunch ended my general signaled to me to bring the release for review among the senior officials at his table. They made a few changes and I was directed to then move it between the groups of officials from the two countries to get it approved. Of course this wasn't going to be easy. It came down to how to refer to the border between the two countries, which just happens to be in dispute.
The negotiations over the release went on for about an hour and a half. Finally my commanding general struck an entire phrase from the release and the issue was settled. I received many smiles from the military officers milling around outside the luncheon room when they realized the release was finally approved and we could all go home. Several bowed and made what I took to be congratulatory remarks, but I couldn't really understand what they were saying.
I ran the spell check and distributed copies. Everyone left happy.
It was all kind of surreal. I thought I was simply there to prepare a press release, but it involved several hours of diplomacy and negotiations. Needless to say that was a new experience for me. It was quite fascinating, but I really don't think I could do that as a full time job.
Now that I think about it, I kind of wondered why they needed a lieutenant colonel to type a release. Now I know!
The next meeting won't be for a couple of months, so I have time to prepare. Hopefully it won't take some three hours to produce a one page press release on which they can all agree!
Lunch was very good. It's the first time I've been able to eat some of the local cooking. And the building we were in was quite beautify. The walls and floors were marble and it had huge windows overlooking gardens in the back. It was probably built back in the 70s and must have been quite impressive in its day.
The front was planted with huge rose bushes. In fact, roses seem to do quite well here and you will find roses everywhere. It is one of the crops a few in the international community are attempting to get the farmers to plant instead of poppies. Apparently harvesting roses and their by-products can be quite lucrative. I've also read that the climate and soil here is quite conducive to vineyards. I do hope the government and international community can be successful in replacing the poppy crops with other types of crops.
Today is Sunday I had a ton of meetings beginning with the staff meeting at 8 a.m. Shortly after that we attended a press conference and meeting at the United Nations offices and then a joint communications meeting at the Embassy. We try to get together with our counterparts at the other agencies operating in the country so that we are all working together when possible and understand the roles and missions of one another's organizations. The main project that is bringing us all together is planning for the upcoming elections.
Estimates of media coming here for the Afghan presidential election run as high as 1,500, so we are part of the planning going on to facilitate media coverage for this historic event. It is quite complicated when dealing with international media, international organizations, and a fledgling government that's never had to deal with publicity on this scale.
When I have a few minutes away from work, I really miss home -- all the little things, like sitting on the patio with family or neighbors and a glass of wine, pulling weeds in the garden in the bright sunshine, walking the dog through the neighborhood and seeing the same homes over and over again, and cuddling up on the sofa with the dog and a good book. Everyone here seems to maintain remarkably good attitudes, and that really helps to stay focused and committed.
Best rest assured that I miss everyone...
I was told that my job would be to finalize the pre-approved press release immediately after the meeting and provide copies to each of the three delegations. But it turned out to be much more!
As soon as I sat down with representatives from each country's information offices I could tell the situation would be challenging as one of them wanted to totally rewrite the release. Then the others spoke up saying that they disagreed. I was a bit slow to catch on to what was going on because I thought I was simply there to type the release. But as it turns out, I was supposed to negotiate between the two countries over the wording of the release. My meeting with the two groups of communications people went on for about an hour before we were forced to break for lunch.
As lunch ended my general signaled to me to bring the release for review among the senior officials at his table. They made a few changes and I was directed to then move it between the groups of officials from the two countries to get it approved. Of course this wasn't going to be easy. It came down to how to refer to the border between the two countries, which just happens to be in dispute.
The negotiations over the release went on for about an hour and a half. Finally my commanding general struck an entire phrase from the release and the issue was settled. I received many smiles from the military officers milling around outside the luncheon room when they realized the release was finally approved and we could all go home. Several bowed and made what I took to be congratulatory remarks, but I couldn't really understand what they were saying.
I ran the spell check and distributed copies. Everyone left happy.
It was all kind of surreal. I thought I was simply there to prepare a press release, but it involved several hours of diplomacy and negotiations. Needless to say that was a new experience for me. It was quite fascinating, but I really don't think I could do that as a full time job.
Now that I think about it, I kind of wondered why they needed a lieutenant colonel to type a release. Now I know!
The next meeting won't be for a couple of months, so I have time to prepare. Hopefully it won't take some three hours to produce a one page press release on which they can all agree!
Lunch was very good. It's the first time I've been able to eat some of the local cooking. And the building we were in was quite beautify. The walls and floors were marble and it had huge windows overlooking gardens in the back. It was probably built back in the 70s and must have been quite impressive in its day.
The front was planted with huge rose bushes. In fact, roses seem to do quite well here and you will find roses everywhere. It is one of the crops a few in the international community are attempting to get the farmers to plant instead of poppies. Apparently harvesting roses and their by-products can be quite lucrative. I've also read that the climate and soil here is quite conducive to vineyards. I do hope the government and international community can be successful in replacing the poppy crops with other types of crops.
Today is Sunday I had a ton of meetings beginning with the staff meeting at 8 a.m. Shortly after that we attended a press conference and meeting at the United Nations offices and then a joint communications meeting at the Embassy. We try to get together with our counterparts at the other agencies operating in the country so that we are all working together when possible and understand the roles and missions of one another's organizations. The main project that is bringing us all together is planning for the upcoming elections.
Estimates of media coming here for the Afghan presidential election run as high as 1,500, so we are part of the planning going on to facilitate media coverage for this historic event. It is quite complicated when dealing with international media, international organizations, and a fledgling government that's never had to deal with publicity on this scale.
When I have a few minutes away from work, I really miss home -- all the little things, like sitting on the patio with family or neighbors and a glass of wine, pulling weeds in the garden in the bright sunshine, walking the dog through the neighborhood and seeing the same homes over and over again, and cuddling up on the sofa with the dog and a good book. Everyone here seems to maintain remarkably good attitudes, and that really helps to stay focused and committed.
Best rest assured that I miss everyone...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home