Answers to Mom's questions
After viewing the photos and reading the cutlines of our New Year's Day deliveries, my mom sent me a long email with lots of questions. Do Afghans understand our Christmas and New Year's holidays? What prompted the folks at Powell Tate/WeberShandwick to send donations? Did I visit on my own or with others? How did I manage to communicate with the people in the hospitals -- can they speak English? It made me realize that I left a lot of information out.
I'm sure that many times in this blog I have overlooked where your knowledge of Afghanistan and our operations begins and ends. Since I've been here so long, I've kind of come to assume you know as much as me. Let me try to fill in some of the gaps.
My colleagues at WeberShandwick asked me what I wanted/needed for Christmas and I told them I didn't need anything -- but that people here need a lot. So my colleagues in Washington, DC, organized the collection of some 25 boxes of toys, clothing and personal hygiene items and mailed them to me. In addition, Powell Tate/WeberShandwick sent a check for $1,000 to the non-profit agency SOSA, that works closely with my command. (They also sent me a monetary gift as well -- that's because they are probably the most giving company I've ever had the pleasure of knowing!)
We have civil affairs people here who work with the local populace and organize the delivery of donations, so I contacted them and they organized the visit to the hospitals. Some ten of us went to the two hospitals. The civil affairs folks accompanied us and acted as our interpreters since several of them speak Dari.
But kindness doesn't really need interpretation. When Afghans see Americans come into hospitals and orphanages, they know we are there to help, so they receive us with open arms.
These people love Americans because we have saved them from oppression, and offered a new direction for them -- one of self determination and the rule of law rather than rule by the gun. If anything, they are fearful that we'll leave too soon. The leadership here is cognizant of having to eventually wean them off of our assistance and allow them to run their own country. We, the US and international community, are working to that end, but it will take awhile. Afghanistan has always had a weak central government and strong provincial governments, so this is a new concept for them. Plus, they have been invaded so many times that they are distrustful of people in authority. That is why President Karzai is so effective -- he is one of the only Afghan leaders that the common people trust.
With regards to our holidays, some Afghans are learning about our holidays from being around us. I've noticed for instance, that the local nationals working on our compound try very hard to give us our traditional greetings on our holidays. They seemed to get quite a charge out of wishing us happy New Year. We also try to do the same thing on their holidays. For instance, at the close of Ramazan (their equivalent of the Arab Ramadan), people here gave some of our local nationals gifts of food -- especially the two men who clean our headquarters building. They are very nice and we like to take care of them. One was a university professor, but he chooses to work as a janitor for us because he makes more money and can practice his English.
Right now many Afghans are traveling to Mecca for the Hajj. The US government is assisting the Government of Afghanistan in the endeavor to get some 30,000 Afghans to Mecca. I'm not involved in that, thank goodness, as it's quite a logistical challenge. They are flying via Ariana Airlines, the only commercial airline in Afghanistan.
The next big holiday here is Afghanistan is Eid Al Adha, January 19-22, which in their culture is a time for forgiveness. (It would be nice if they and the Pakistanis could find it in their hearts to forgive one another, but I suspect that will be years from now -- if ever!) For our part we will be releasing a large number of detainees in observance of Eid. These are people no longer considered a threat to the Coalition and have expressed an interest in reconciling. The whole subject of national reconciliation for the Taliban and other combatants is a huge issue for the new Karzai government. Feelings of hurt and anger run deep, so they must move carefully on the release of former combatants.
It is also interesting that Afghans follow the solar calendar, rather than the traditional western calendar. For them the year begins on the first day of spring, which this year falls on March 21st. According to the solar calendar, this is the 10th month of the year 1383. The year 1384 will begin March 21st.
I have learned these little things from our cultural advisors and interpreters. I haven't had a lot of time to do as much reading about Afghanistan as I should. I read Michner's Caravans when I first arrived, but that's about it. I read every night before bed to take my mind off of work, but I have to confess that I've been reading British romance novels rather than anything serious. I have a rather long Afghan reading list I'd like to pursue once I'm home, such as the Bookseller of Kabul and The Sewing Circles of Herat. I've asked the Ambassador's speech writer for a recommended reading list, but for now, it's enough to be surrounded by it.
Unlike Saudi Arabia, this is a country I could come back to if my work required. The people want our help and are very friendly. If I came as a civilian contractor, my living conditions would be much better and I would be freer to interact with Afghans. I doubt that will happen, although I will say that there are a group of us PR professionals here who probably could do quite well making a living helping countries during the reconstruction phase. Communications and information are key during these times.
Along those lines, I can't even tell you how excited I am at the prospect of going home. With the end of my tour coming soon, I have given a lot of thought to how far I've come in five months.
I have been humbled by all the love and support I have received from so many people, both here and in the US -- some I've never met, like my colleagues at the Department of Defense Public Affairs Office who have done so much to assist me. I am really blessed and I attribute that to the work ethic I learned from my mom and Dad. I recall my Dad saying that no one can find fault with people who have done their best. That's all I've tried to do here -- my best. I've had lots of help.
Peace.
I'm sure that many times in this blog I have overlooked where your knowledge of Afghanistan and our operations begins and ends. Since I've been here so long, I've kind of come to assume you know as much as me. Let me try to fill in some of the gaps.
My colleagues at WeberShandwick asked me what I wanted/needed for Christmas and I told them I didn't need anything -- but that people here need a lot. So my colleagues in Washington, DC, organized the collection of some 25 boxes of toys, clothing and personal hygiene items and mailed them to me. In addition, Powell Tate/WeberShandwick sent a check for $1,000 to the non-profit agency SOSA, that works closely with my command. (They also sent me a monetary gift as well -- that's because they are probably the most giving company I've ever had the pleasure of knowing!)
We have civil affairs people here who work with the local populace and organize the delivery of donations, so I contacted them and they organized the visit to the hospitals. Some ten of us went to the two hospitals. The civil affairs folks accompanied us and acted as our interpreters since several of them speak Dari.
But kindness doesn't really need interpretation. When Afghans see Americans come into hospitals and orphanages, they know we are there to help, so they receive us with open arms.
These people love Americans because we have saved them from oppression, and offered a new direction for them -- one of self determination and the rule of law rather than rule by the gun. If anything, they are fearful that we'll leave too soon. The leadership here is cognizant of having to eventually wean them off of our assistance and allow them to run their own country. We, the US and international community, are working to that end, but it will take awhile. Afghanistan has always had a weak central government and strong provincial governments, so this is a new concept for them. Plus, they have been invaded so many times that they are distrustful of people in authority. That is why President Karzai is so effective -- he is one of the only Afghan leaders that the common people trust.
With regards to our holidays, some Afghans are learning about our holidays from being around us. I've noticed for instance, that the local nationals working on our compound try very hard to give us our traditional greetings on our holidays. They seemed to get quite a charge out of wishing us happy New Year. We also try to do the same thing on their holidays. For instance, at the close of Ramazan (their equivalent of the Arab Ramadan), people here gave some of our local nationals gifts of food -- especially the two men who clean our headquarters building. They are very nice and we like to take care of them. One was a university professor, but he chooses to work as a janitor for us because he makes more money and can practice his English.
Right now many Afghans are traveling to Mecca for the Hajj. The US government is assisting the Government of Afghanistan in the endeavor to get some 30,000 Afghans to Mecca. I'm not involved in that, thank goodness, as it's quite a logistical challenge. They are flying via Ariana Airlines, the only commercial airline in Afghanistan.
The next big holiday here is Afghanistan is Eid Al Adha, January 19-22, which in their culture is a time for forgiveness. (It would be nice if they and the Pakistanis could find it in their hearts to forgive one another, but I suspect that will be years from now -- if ever!) For our part we will be releasing a large number of detainees in observance of Eid. These are people no longer considered a threat to the Coalition and have expressed an interest in reconciling. The whole subject of national reconciliation for the Taliban and other combatants is a huge issue for the new Karzai government. Feelings of hurt and anger run deep, so they must move carefully on the release of former combatants.
It is also interesting that Afghans follow the solar calendar, rather than the traditional western calendar. For them the year begins on the first day of spring, which this year falls on March 21st. According to the solar calendar, this is the 10th month of the year 1383. The year 1384 will begin March 21st.
I have learned these little things from our cultural advisors and interpreters. I haven't had a lot of time to do as much reading about Afghanistan as I should. I read Michner's Caravans when I first arrived, but that's about it. I read every night before bed to take my mind off of work, but I have to confess that I've been reading British romance novels rather than anything serious. I have a rather long Afghan reading list I'd like to pursue once I'm home, such as the Bookseller of Kabul and The Sewing Circles of Herat. I've asked the Ambassador's speech writer for a recommended reading list, but for now, it's enough to be surrounded by it.
Unlike Saudi Arabia, this is a country I could come back to if my work required. The people want our help and are very friendly. If I came as a civilian contractor, my living conditions would be much better and I would be freer to interact with Afghans. I doubt that will happen, although I will say that there are a group of us PR professionals here who probably could do quite well making a living helping countries during the reconstruction phase. Communications and information are key during these times.
Along those lines, I can't even tell you how excited I am at the prospect of going home. With the end of my tour coming soon, I have given a lot of thought to how far I've come in five months.
I have been humbled by all the love and support I have received from so many people, both here and in the US -- some I've never met, like my colleagues at the Department of Defense Public Affairs Office who have done so much to assist me. I am really blessed and I attribute that to the work ethic I learned from my mom and Dad. I recall my Dad saying that no one can find fault with people who have done their best. That's all I've tried to do here -- my best. I've had lots of help.
Peace.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home